Re: Hot Standby, release candidate? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Hot Standby, release candidate?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 09:32 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> If every patch perfectly matched the pgident style, then the pgindent
>> run would change nothing and we would all be VERY happy.
>
> I've made all whitespace changes to the patch.
>
> I understand the reason for acting as you suggest, but we either police
> it, or we don't. If we don't police in all cases then I'm not personally
> happy to be policed.

I am doing my best to police it, and certainly will police it for
anything that I review or commit.  Heikki was the one who originally
pointed it on this thread, Magnus gave a +1, and I am pretty sure Tom
tries to keep an eye out for it, too, so generally I would say it is
project practice.  Obviously I am not able to control the actions of
all the other committers, and it does appear that some crap has crept
in since the last pgindent run.  :-(

At any rate I don't think you're being singled out for special treatment.

> About 90% of the whitespace in the patch were in docs, README or test
> output files. A great many of that type of file have numerous line
> ending whitespace, not introduced by me, so it seems to me that this has
> never been adequately policed in the way you say. If we really do care
> about this issue then I expect people to look a little further than just
> my patch.

pgindent won't reindent the docs or the README, but git diff --check
picks up on trailing whitespace, so it may be that Tom (who doesn't
use git but does commit a lot of patches) is less finicky about
trailing whitespace in those places.  If we move to git across the
board, I expect this to get more standardized handling, but I think we
have a ways to go on that yet.

> Portability of patches across releases isn't a huge issue for me, nor
> for the project, I think, but I am willing to commit to cleaning future
> patches in this way.

It's a pretty significant issue for me personally, and anyone who is
maintaining a fork of the main source base that has to be merged when
the pgindent run hits.  It would be nice if someone wanted to build a
better mousetrap here, but so far no volunteers.

...Robert