Re: Hot Standby, release candidate? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Hot Standby, release candidate?
Date
Re: Hot Standby, release candidate?  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Hot Standby, release candidate?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 06:21 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

>> > If we can define "spurious whitespace" it would help decide whether
>> > there is any action to take, and when.
>>
>> git defines it as either (1) extra whitespace at the end of a line or
>> (2) an initial indent that uses spaces followed by tabs (typically
>> something like space-tab, where tab alone would have produced the same
>> result).  git diff --check master tends to be useful here.
>
> (2) is a problem that has been discussed before on hackers, anything
> like that should be changed.
>
> Why is (1) important, and if it is important, why is it being mentioned
> only now? Are we saying that all previous reviewers of my work (and
> others') removed these without ever mentioning they had done so?

pgident will remove such white spaces and create merge conflicts for
everyone working on those areas of the code.  I certainly mention this
in any review I do where it's applicable, and have been doing so for
some time.  I also will certainly fix it for any code I commit.  I
also mentioned it in the review that I did of Hot Standby.

...Robert