Re: Archive Message-Id links broken? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Archive Message-Id links broken?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Alvaro
Herrera<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas escribió:
>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Alvaro
>> Herrera<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> > This is all crap of course, which is why we want to replace Mhonarc with
>> > a database-backed system.
>>
>> Database?  You mean like Excel?
>
> Huh.  You know, Mhonarc has something that it calls "database" which is
> actually a bunch of Perl files with a dump of internal variables
> describing the mailbox.  The fact that it has to read and keep in memory
> all those files is the reason it doesn't scale well past a month's worth
> of email.  Perhaps it could cope with a year, provided you have a lot of
> RAM; but clearly it won't work well if we want to handle our complete
> archive.

Go ahead, ignore my witty (?) remark and come back with a serious response.

There seems to be a whole lot of project infrastructure that is a bit
long in the tooth.  Of course, it's hard to get up the enthusiasm to
address the problems since it all basically works, so the
effort/reward ratio is a bit on the low side.

...Robert