Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)
Date
In response to Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Alvaro
Herrera<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas escribió:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> > Ah.  That's a bit idiosyncratic to pgindent.  What it does for a
>> > function definition makes sense, I think: it lines up all the
>> > parameters to start in the same column:
>
>> That is truly bizarre.  +1 from me for doing something that a
>> competent C programmer can figure out without a calculator.  I don't
>> care what the rule is particularly, as long as it's obvious how to
>> follow it.  (In my own code I indent all of my continuation lines by
>> one additional 4-space tab-stop.  I realize this would be a horrible
>> idea for PG since we don't want to change anything that's going to
>> reindent the entire code base, and you might all hate it for other
>> reasons anyway, but the point is that any idiot can look at it and
>> figure out how it's supposed to be indented, because the rule is
>> simple.)
>
> Well, the rule here is simple too (set cinoptions=(0 if you're
> Vim-enabled).  It's only function prototypes that are a bit weird, and
> once you understand how it works it's trivial to reproduce.

Function prototypes was what I was referring to.  I think I understand
how to reproduce it now, but it's still bizarre.

...Robert