Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
Re: Recovery Test Framework  ("Fujii Masao" <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> That's happened more than once, though my memory of details is fuzzy
> and I don't have time to troll the archives for them right now.
> Maybe Bruce can remember without a lot of searching.  But our current
> policy of time-based releases (ie deadlines) is born of hard experience
> with the negative consequences of saying "we'll release when feature X
> is ready".  The real killer disadvantage is that all other development
> tends to stop until X is ready, because no one can plan anything.

This is a very reasonable concern, and a good policy.  But I would
feel better about the application of it to this particular case if
you, personally, spent a couple of hours reviewing the patches at
issue and expressed an opinion about how close they are to being ready
to commit.  I doubt that many of us would care to substitute our
judgment for yours - but it would be a shame to bump them to 8.5
needlessly.

One thing I find interesting is that the "Infrastructure Changes for
Recovery" patch became the foundation for both "Hot Standby" and
"Synchronous Replication".  That implies that those changes might be
of somewhat more general interest, at least as the foundation for
further work.  If we HS and/or SR are out of reach, it might be worth
at least looking to see if any of that infrastructure work can be
reasonably be committed for 8.4.

...Robert