Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
Re: Recovery Test Framework  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> In general, we have always regretted it in the past when we chose to
>>> slip a release waiting for a specific feature...
>>
>> I don't recall such a time - though perhaps the last time it happened
>> was before I was so heavily involved in the release process (ie. 7.x).
>> What were the reasons for regretting it?

> I seem to recall us deferring 8.1 (was it 8.1?) for a while on the
> basis that we were waiting for [something I don't recall offhand].
> The feature that we were *hoping* to get wound up dropped on the floor
> because it just wasn't ready, even *with* the extra time.

That's happened more than once, though my memory of details is fuzzy
and I don't have time to troll the archives for them right now.
Maybe Bruce can remember without a lot of searching.  But our current
policy of time-based releases (ie deadlines) is born of hard experience
with the negative consequences of saying "we'll release when feature X
is ready".  The real killer disadvantage is that all other development
tends to stop until X is ready, because no one can plan anything.