Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-general
merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com ("Merlin Moncure") writes:
>> > No, that doesn't seem to follow ... if Oracle are spending their
>> > resources to attack MySQL rather than us, the conclusion would be
>> > that they are clearly still more informed by "the buzz" than
>> > technical merit.
>>
>> With no disrespect to PostgreSQL, MySQL has 100x our downloads and
>> installations...
>>
>> Oracle is simply going after by far the biggest open source
>> database player...
>
> Maybe I can bring some insight here.  I think mysql's strategic
> alliance with SAP is much scarier to Oracle than Market/Mind share.
> Oracle's gameplan is built around convincing companies that they
> need to spend millions of dollars in database software to drive
> their erp/crm systems.

I'd agree with this latter point.

The particularly _interesting_ things that MySQL AB has been doing
have all pointed towards an attempt to move towards alliance with SAP
AG.

If SAP AG started talking with us with a view to using PostgreSQL as
an alternative database to Oracle for R/3, *THAT* would be the moment
when Oracle would start to take things *really* seriously, because
that represents a direct threat against billions of dollars of
Oracle's revenue.

That is the potential threat that the Oracle purchase of Innobase OY
curbs with considerable elegance.
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html