Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-general
> > No, that doesn't seem to follow ... if Oracle are spending their
> > resources to attack MySQL rather than us, the conclusion would be
that
> > they are clearly still more informed by "the buzz" than technical
merit.

> With no disrespect to PostgreSQL, MySQL has 100x our downloads and
> installations...
>
> Oracle is simply going after by far the biggest open source database
> player...
>
> Chris

Maybe I can bring some insight here.  I think mysql's strategic alliance
with SAP is much scarier to Oracle than Market/Mind share.  Oracle's
gameplan is built around convincing companies that they need to spend
millions of dollars in database software to drive their erp/crm systems.

Also, I think the market/mind share of business application development
is much closer to parity, and will continue to improve in light of the
solid windows port.

Merlin