Re: SELECT LIMIT 1 VIEW Performance Issue - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From K C Lau
Subject Re: SELECT LIMIT 1 VIEW Performance Issue
Date
List pgsql-performance
Dear Merlin and all,

That direct SQL returns in 0 ms. The problem only appears when a view is used.

What we've done to work around this problem is to modify the table to add a
field DataStatus which is set to 1 for the latest record for each player,
and reset to 0 when it is superceded.

A partial index is then created as:
CREATE INDEX IDX_CurPlayer on Player (PlayerID) where DataStatus = 1;

The VCurPlayer view is changed to:
CREATE or REPLACE VIEW VCurPlayer as select * from Player where DataStatus = 1;
and it now returns in 0 ms.

This is not the best solution, but until (if ever) the original problem is
fixed, we have not found an alternative work around.

The good news is that even with the additional overhead of maintaining an
extra index and the problem of vacuuming, pg 8.0.3 still performs
significantly faster on Windows than MS Sql 2000 in our OLTP application
testing so far.

Thanks to all for your help.

Best regards,
KC.