Re: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.general - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gary L. Burnore
Subject Re: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.general
Date
List pgsql-general
At 11:48 AM 11/8/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

>>>Unless ist Spam, moderator always approves ... I know, cause its me ...
>>

>>Always?  Then why moderate?
>
>Because 99% of what I have to check through is spam, which does get
>refused, as I state above ...
>
>>Someone asks a question in USENet.  Two other people reply in USENet but
>>both with an incorret answer.  You approve the original message hours or
>>maybe even a day later. (You're not up 24x7)  people on the list post
>>answers.  A while later they see the incorrect answeres and reply to
>>them.l Meanwhile original poster has already acted on incorrect information.
>
>This could just as easily happen the other way around too ... someone
>posts, moderator lets it through, seperate ppl on the lists themselves
>post incorrect answer but someone that I haven't approved yet posts the
>right one ...

It's not the same.  Your list may not see the post for days.   USENet is
faster than that.

>>You approve an email.  It goes to a server not currently carrying the
>>groups and gets marked as received but not valid group.  Email never
>>makes it to a server after the site refusing it.  Some sites have it some
>>sites don't. Each with different message ID's most likely.
>
>then the site after it wouldn't have received any of teh original messages
>either .

It receives those posted to USENet just as it would any other
group.  That's why those gated don't make it to databasix.com for days
after they're actually posted.  So each appears twice.  Once as the
original USENet post and once as a post forwarded by you.

If all the groups were set to moderated and sent on to you instead of being
immediately posted, that part of the probem would go away.