Re: New versioning scheme - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: New versioning scheme
Date
Re: New versioning scheme  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On 13/05/16 02:53, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Magnus Hagander reminded us:
>
>> And we already have a version numbering scheme that confuses people :)
> Exactly.  I think it is time for us to realize that our beloved "major.minor"
> versioning is a failure, both at a marketing and a technical level. It's a
> lofty idea, but causes way more harm than good in real life. People on
> pgsql-hackers know that 9.1 and 9.5 are wildly different beasts. Clients?
> They are running "Postgres 9". So I'm all in favor of doing away with
> major and minor.

[...]

Please don't go that way, the inflation of numbers like Firefox has, the
numbers then have even less meaning.

Stop dumbing things down!!!  Help educate people, rather than become yet
another Mushroom Farmer...

Better would be a prominent notice of what the versioning scheme is all
about, and link to http://semver.org.

Cheers,
Gavin