Re: UUID v7 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: UUID v7
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07.07.23 14:06, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
> Also, I think we should discuss UUID v8. UUID version 8 provides an RFC-compatible format for experimental or
vendor-specificuse cases. Revision 1 of IETF draft contained interesting code for v8: almost similar to v7, but with
fieldsfor "node ID" and "rolling sequence number".

> I think this is reasonable approach, thus I attach implementation of UUID v8 per [0].

I suggest we keep this thread to v7, which has pretty straightforward
semantics for PostgreSQL.  v8 by definition has many possible
implementations, so you're going to have to make pretty strong arguments
that yours is the best and only one, if you are going to claim the
gen_uuid_v8 function name.