Re: mixed, named notation support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: mixed, named notation support
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On 9. August 2009 13:00:07 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Mph.  Does Oracle adopt the same semantics for what a mixed call means?

I had a look at the Oracle documentation while reviewing this patch, and i
thought we are pretty close to what they do. Maybe Pavel can comment more
on it.

> Because my next complaint was going to be that this definition was
> poorly chosen anyway --- it seems confusing, unintuitive, and
> restrictive.  If the function is defined as having parameters (a,b,c)
> then what does this do:
>
>     select foo(1, 2, 3 as b);
>
> and what's the argument for having it do that rather than something
> else?

Since b is ambiguous we error out (I don't know what Oracle does, but i
would be surprised if they do anything different).

--
Thanks
Bernd