Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Petrilli
Subject Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 8/31/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> The only part of this that I see as relevant to us is setting of
> development goals.  And we've already discussed this ad nauseum on the
> Hackers list and AFAIK have an initial plan (the enhanced TODO), lacking
> only the resources to implement it this month.

As a proponent of PostgreSQL over MySQL and other database inside a
bunch of companies, one thing that's been problematic is the fact that
feature set is accidental, or appears that way.

I totally understand that people want to work on what they want to
work on, but there are obvious places that Postgres has issues that
make it less competitive. I can't go to anyone in the company and say
"8.3 will solve X," and in fact, until 8.2 hits the release, I'll not
really know what's in it. This makes planning difficult.

That's my main real complaint.

Chris