Re: pgsql: Doc: fill in "major enhancements" list in v13 release notes. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: pgsql: Doc: fill in "major enhancements" list in v13 release notes.
Date
List pgsql-www
On 9/14/20 11:54 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 9/14/20 11:25 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>>> Well the question is, does this really apply only to the release notes.
>>> What about other changes that are made to the documentation in-between
>>> releases?
>>> Perhaps we actually want a complete separate docs-load, including back
>>> branches, that just gets hidden away somewhere and smacked full of labels
>>> that it's not a production set of documentation etc? That would then cover
>>> both release notes and reviews of other docs backpatching.
>> Yeah, that's quite a plausible proposal.
>>

> Seems fair.

For my 2¢ -- my use case is that I typically have to read the release
notes prior to an update announcement (nevermind major release) and turn
it into...an update announcement.

What I've done as of late is that I check out whatever the latest stable
branch is and build the docs locally using the HTML styles, and read
them that way. That seem to work fine. It adds about 2-3 minutes to my
workflow, but for the frequency at which I have to do that, it's not all
that painful.

Would going to a  URL make it easier? Sure. Is it worth the effort we'd
likely put Magnus, and possibly myself, through to make it easier? I
don't know.

Jonathan

Attachment