Re: OS X library path issues for libpq (ver 8.3) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Reed
Subject Re: OS X library path issues for libpq (ver 8.3)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>> For one thing, I've discovered that setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is not a
>> great idea on OS X.  For one, if you set it in your shell login
>> profiles (.bashrc, .profile, .cshrc or whatever), most applications
>> that are started from the 'Finder' will not see that setting (so it's
>> kinda useless unless you want to work from the terminal all day).
>
> Yup.

Correct.  If you need the behavior of LD_LIBRARY_PATH on
linux/solaris, use DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH instead.
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't do what you think.  It's the nuclear option.

>> Also, some discussion forums indicate that it can screw up some
>> applications.  From reading 'man dyld', I gather that setting this
>> variable is useful for testing new libraries rather than a permanent
>> library solution.
>>
>> Today, I'm going to follow instructions here:
>> http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/postgres.html
>
> That's very old. I'd stick with the installer or MacPorts.

Or Fink.  ;)

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick
Fink, KDE, and Mac OS X development