Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bayless Kirtley
Subject Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?
Date
List pgsql-general
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Taylor" <ijabz@fastmail.fm>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?

>> Of course you can always use Derby for testing the Postgres later. I have
>> found HSQLDB to be closer to Postgres than Derby is. I do seem to recall
>> the Netbeans group recommends using sever mode during development then
>> switch to imbedded for distribution. I have done it both ways with equal
>> success and similar efforts.
>>
>> Bayless
>>

> Thanks  I am trying to use Derby but fallen foul of Postgres array
> datatype which Derby doesn't support, Ive just had a quick look at HSQLDB
> and it doesn't appear to support it either.
>
> Paul

Yes, I'm afraid you're gonna be out of luck on finding the array type in any
of
the smaller embedded databases. Honestly, the beg project I've been on for a
year or so has used Postgres right through full development and testing.
It's
not hard to start and stop the database whenever I need to although I
usually
just leave it running.

Bayless