Re: Uber moving towards MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Uber moving towards MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 07/26/2016 02:57 PM, Santiago Zarate wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Has anyone read the following article?, i'm personlally inclined to
> think that some of these problems could have been addressed with enough
> expertise.

Uber moved to MySQL some time ago.  This was, not coincidentally, at the
same time they got a new CTO.

Note that Uber ran the whole company off a single PostgreSQL cluster for
years.  Given that they switched a couple years back, I'm unclear on the
reasons for making this post right now.

> At our company we may move to PostgreSQL for one of our core products
> (we use oracle), and a colleague came with this today. While this
> started a very heated discussion on our side... I wonder, what do you
> guys think
>
> https://eng.uber.com/mysql-migration/

They have some valid points; see the thread on -hackers.  I like their
analysis of the index update issue.

However, note that the article doesn't address any of the shortcomings
of MySQL as a platform, or why their "schemaless" tool couldn't be
implemented on top of Postgres, or that they're not just doing MySQL,
they're doing Cassandra as well, because MySQL isn't enough by itself.
Particularly, I'll note that they were very concerned about replication
data corruption in Postgres, but don't talk about that issue at all with
MySQL.

Databases are full of tradeoffs.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS