Re: Restoring a database dump from 9.0 to 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Restoring a database dump from 9.0 to 9.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Jay McGaffigan <hooligan495@gmail.com> writes:
> So my first question.
>   If I can't use a psql 9.2.2 instance to create the backup.  Are there
> 'best' practices I should follow in creating the backup.  All my googling
> hasn't really been able to point to the best approach.

We do recommend using the newer pg_dump in an upgrade scenario when you
conveniently can, but 99% of the time the older pg_dump should work
fine.  That recommendation is mainly to forestall issues like
that-particular-older-version-has-a-bug, and at the moment there's no
evidence that that's your problem.

            regards, tom lane