Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
List pgsql-general
Hi,
Le 04/05/2016 17:55, Alban Hertroys a écrit :
> On 4 May 2016 at 17:08, John McKown <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had a manager, long ago, who used a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet to
>> contain all his memos. I was glassy eyed in disbelief. He also would use his
>> hand calculator to add up the numbers in the spreadsheet to be sure that the
>> summation function in the spreadsheet didn't make a mistake. <shudder/>
>
> That still happens - we have a few live examples around in this
> company. Unfortunately they're not caged and there's no sign "Do not
> feed the managers". Admittedly, they're using Excel instead of
> Lotus-1-2-3, but that's the only difference.

;-D

Another step (forward obviously) for these fellows is to use MSAccess.
Much better, yes.  But, still...

On this matter, I hear *very* often from such guys that the only
reproach they have to PostgreSQL is that it does not come with a slick
GUI like Access.  PGAdmin does not suit their needs at all: they want to
design their forms, directly write into the tables by using quick'n
easy/dirty copy/paste from/to their Excel (yes, it is still lying
around).  I understand them, somehow.
There are a few tools around, many proprietary ones, some Free/Libre
ones, but they are still looking for a sort of Holy Grail that would
definitely convince them.  A standard client tool that would come with
any PostgreSQL installation would please them.  Some sort of psqlGUI, I
guess.

Something to think about...  Maybe it would more suitable into
"advocacy" than here in "general", though.

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   jabber: pierre.chevalier1967@jabber.fr
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue