Re: ruby pg connection fails on centos - okay on debian and dev machine - Mailing list pgsql-general

From john.tiger
Subject Re: ruby pg connection fails on centos - okay on debian and dev machine
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/03/2016 06:18 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 05/03/2016 05:07 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>> our model.rb runs fine on a dev machine and a debian server  but is
>> failing on a new centos server - checked the postgres db name and user
>> name and password - all seem fine
>
> The error message is?
>

>> could it be:
>>
>> host => "localhost"
>>
>> or maybe CORS ?
>
> CORS as in:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing
>
> or something else?
>
> Have you tried connecting using psql with same parameters?
>
> Have you looked at the pg_hba.conf files on the different platforms
> and see if they differ?

yeah, but we couldn't find any log file - not sure on centos where this
should be  - nothing in /var/log or /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data

running psql dbname="ourdb" works
running psql dbname="ourdb" username="ouruser"  ==> FATAL peer
authentication failed for user"ouruser"

running \l  => shows db
    \du =>   ouruser {}  ? doesn't show login although we specified that
as when created role - could that be the problem ?? then how to add
login to user   alter role ouruser with login  => still shows {}

both pg_hba show:
local    all    all  peer
host     all    all  127.0.0.1
host     all   all ident

re cors - all on same linode server with postgres running on std port so
don't think should be an issue and is not issue on debian server - just
searching for possible answer

here is our model
@conn = PG.connect(
   :host => "localhost",
   :dbname => "ourdb",
   :user  => "ouruser",
   :password => "ourpassword"
)
again, this runs fine on debian and debian dev machine