Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dandl
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
List pgsql-general
> owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Geoff Winkless

> > I'm a strong believer in putting the business code next to the data,
> > not the wrong side of the object-relational divide. However, for many
> > the challenge of writing and debugging SQL code is just too high!
>
> Your source for this statement please? "For many" sounds rather like weasel-
> words to me. In my experience, a wide range of people, from beginners to
> experts, find SQL easy to write and debug. I'm afraid that the problem seems
> to me to be that your peg is rather too square.

Then I think you've seriously misunderstood. Most people can indeed learn to write basic SQL queries, but those are
(obviously)not what I'm talking about.

To write the business logic of a significant application entirely in SQL requires PLSQL (or in other dialects, whatever
passesfor SQL/PSM). It means writing an entire data access layer as a set of stored procedures, with a substantial set
ofspecial functions, types, triggers and so on. No beginner and few experts have the skills required to do that in SQL,
andthen debug that code on the server. The plain aim of Andl is make this task far, far easier so that indeed a
beginnercan do it.

> > Meanwhile I'm busy replacing SQL with Andl, which can do everything
> > SQL gets right and avoids most of the things it gets wrong. Look out
> > for an implementation on Postgres real soon now. See
> http://www.andl.org/2016/04/postgres-meet-andl/.
>
> Please, can you stop spamming every marginally-related topic in the list with
> this? I'm sure that anyone who's interested in this will have seen it in the
> thread you created that was actually marked with it in the subject.

The man asked a question and I gave him two links that provide specific parts of my answer. I think you would learn
somethingfrom reading them, but perhaps the simplest solution is that you just ignore my posts in future.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org