Re: Pglogical questions and problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Pglogical questions and problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/13/2016 01:38 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 12 April 2016 at 23:46, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>> wrote:
>
>     So what am I missing?
>
> Thanks for the bug report, but unfortunately the CF is now over and
> pglogical is not in 9.6. So its a little late for reviews and bug reports.

I wasn't clear where I should be sending information about pgLogical or
if this was indeed a bug report or user error.

> I'm not sure of the exact status of pglogical now. It's has a good
> reception outside of Hackers, but not much has been said here, so its
> unclear whether it will be in 9.7. Obviously if its not got support and
> will eventually be rejected for an alternate design, fixing the bugs
> won't be worthwhile discussion on Hackers.

This may be true. Is there another mailing list where this discussion is
more appropriate?

> If we want this in 9.7, we'll need lots of people's support, design
> commentary and assistance with bug fixing. So some exploration of
> whether this is a pglogical issue, an origin issue or decoding issue
> would help a lot, if you can provide that?

I am certainly happy to provide any logs etc... This is just a test
instance that I was scaffolding for a presentation.

> Obviously, investigating
> every case is difficult but we should be able to build up a library of
> test cases over time to assist with that.

Sure but having a better understanding through documentation of what is
supposed to work and what isn't would be helpful too. As I mentioned in
my OP, I wasn't even sure if it was something I was missing? I could
have just tried to make it do something it wasn't meant to do.

> If we agree this is worth further work, I'll take responsibility for it
> in 9.7.

I think that is kind of up to 2Q? Are you saying that if .Org doesn't
want pgLogical in core then it isn't going to be supported or developed
or are you trying to determine if you need to start building an
individual community around it?

> Anyway, who agrees with the overall design of pglogical and who does not?

From a usability standpoint I find the interface a little rough. I
would much prefer to be able to do things like:

ALTER DATABASE ADD NODE;
ALTER SCHEMA SUBSCRIBE ALL;
CREATE REPLICATION SET;

But I am unaware if that is possible within the constraints of the
extensions API.

Sincerely,

JD

--