Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 03/07/2016 01:37 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
> [...]
>> Thanks to the long and hard efforts by the community, PostgreSQL has
>> been evolving to be a really great software comparable to existing
>> strong commercial products.  Open source databases are gaining more
>> popularity to influence the database market.
>> Open source threatens to eat the database market
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2916057/open-source-software/open-source-threatens-to-eat-the-database-market.html
>> "Though the proprietary RDBMS market grew at a sluggish 5.4 percent in
>> 2014, the open source database market grew 31 percent to hit $562 million."
>> "As Gartner highlights in a recent research report, open source
>> databases now consume 25 percent of relational database usage."
>> Perhaps related to this is that the revenues of Oracle, IBM and
>> Microsoft have been declining (but I read in an article that SQL Server
>> is gaining more revenue).
>> On the other hand, there is a gulf between the two top popular databases
>> -- Oracle and MySQL -- and PostgreSQL.  They are nearly five times more
>> popular than PostgreSQL.
>> DB-Engines Ranking
>> http://db-engines.com/en/ranking
>> Yes, I understand this ranking doesn't necessarily reflect the actual
>> use, but I also don't think the ranking is far from the real
>> popularity.  In fact, some surveys show that MySQL has been in more
>> widespread use even here in Japan than PostgreSQL since around 2010 (IIRC).
>> What should we do to boost the popularity of PostgreSQL?  One challenge
>> is to increase the number of software which supports PostgreSQL. To take
>> advantage of the trend of shift from commercial products to open source,
>> PostgreSQL needs to interoperate with many software that are used
>> together with the commercial databases.
>> The easily understandable target is Oracle, because it is anticipated
>> that more users of Oracle will seek another database to avoid the
>> expensive Oracle Standard Edition 2 and increasing maintenance costs.
>> In addition, PostgreSQL has affinity for Oracle.
>> However, there is a problem.  The number of software is very small that
>> the users can know to interoperate with PostgreSQL.  That is, when the
>> users want to migrate from commercial databases to PostgreSQL, they
>> can't get information on whether they can continue to use their assets
>> with PostgreSQL.  Many applications might be interoperable through
>> standard interfaces like JDBC/ODBC, but the case is unknown.  For example:
>> * Only 24 open source projects are listed as interoperable.
>> Open Source Projects Using PostgreSQL
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/OpenSource_Projects_Using_PostgreSQL
>> * Even EnterpriseDB has only 12 certified application vendors.
>> http://www.enterprisedb.com/partner-programs/enterprisedb-certified-application-vendors
>> * PostgreSQL Enterprise Consortium lists only about30 related products
>> (Japanese only).
>> https://www.pgecons.org/postgresql-info/business_sw/
>> * MySQL touts more than 2,000 ISV/OEM/VARs.

Though if you go to the actual list:
http://www.mysql.com/customers/embedded/

There is at a rough count, 300.

This points to the central dilemma, some of which is addressed below,
separating fact from fiction.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com