Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01/20/2016 09:17 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-01-20 09:15:01 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 01/20/2016 09:03 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> If people don't fix the issues in time, there needs to be
>>> direct pushback, leading to much less stuff getting in next time round.
>>>

>> We have been slowly moving to a more dictator based release anyway. It used
>> to be that we released "when it's done", then we moved to commitfest, and
>> now we are having yet another discussion on the same topic of how to manage
>> all of this.
>>
>> It seems clear that we need to be able to say:
>>
>> * "Your feature is awesome. Sorry, you are out of time"
>
> That's not really related to the discussion here tho? The debated
> problem is things that have already been committed that have have bugs,
> preventing beta/rc releases from being made. In some cases in the last
> releases such bugs were in features integrated very early in the cycle.

Sorry if I was causing noise. I was under the impression that the
discussion was more than just things that already have bugs, but also
how the commitfests were working (scheduling etc..). I admit, I may have
grabbed your comment out of an unrelated portion of the thread.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                     +1-503-667-4564