Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-01-20 12:18:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not really sure why we've allowed CFs to drift on, though.  Can't we
> just arbitrarily decree them closed on the last day of the month?  And
> push unfinished work to the next one?  Admittedly, this probably doesn't
> work for the last CF of a release cycle, but that one's always been a
> special case.

I think the problem there is the assumption that each CF entry deserves
some amount of feedback. It's not a big problem to close entries of
patches that have gotten a fair amount, but it's pretty common to have a
set of entries that have barely gotten any review. Usually either
because they're perceived as too boring (fair enough), because they're
too complex for the majority of non-busy people (uhhh), or because
they're seen as claimed.

Andres