Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On 01/13/2016 04:36 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:40:38AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I forgot to respond to this point specifically.  Yes, we are looking
>> at the same thing.  I will quote the entire email up to the point
>> where it mentions that that the release was made by the PostgreSQL
>> community.
>>
>> ### BEGIN QUOTE ###
>> *Performs 96% faster than v9.4 in benchmark tests*
>>
>> *Bedford, Mass. – Jan. 7, 2016* – EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com>®
>> (EDB™), the leading enterprise Postgres database company, today announced
>> the general availability of PostgreSQL 9.5, released by the Postgres
>> community.
>> ### END OF QUOTE ###
>>
>> Those last four words, "released by the Postgres community", are
>> contained in the first complete sentence of the email.
> That phrase, "released by the Postgres community", is from me.  I gave
> extensive feedback to EDB on every paragraph of the EDB press release,
> and all my suggestions were accepted.
>
> I know that first sentence is odd, and it struck me as odd too when I
> read it during proofreading.  The problem is that 99+% of press releases
> are by companies about their products, so if you deviate from that at
> the start, it causes confusion, so I decided the best approach was to
> say what company was making this press announcement (EDB), but that the
> code was released by the Postgres community.

I'm not terribly fussed about it. I would suggest for the future that
the paragraph might read better as something like:

    EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com>® (EDB™), the leading enterprise Postgres database company, welcomes
today'sgeneral availability release by the PostgreSQL community of PostgreSQL 9.5.

I think that's both less awkward and less misleading.

cheers

andrew