Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 01/12/2016 10:45 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/12/2016 06:58 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>
>> Yes, it's worth discussing "how can we do better next time".  But
>> EnterpriseDB is, as a company, a big contributor to the PostgreSQL
>> project, so please let's treat the EDB folks as contributors and stop
>> with the shit-fests.
>
> JB,
>
> This was completely inappropriate. First, everyone is treating them like
> contributors. That is why they are getting so much attention. If they
> weren't such well known contributors, nobody would care (as much).

I don't feel that it was.  And as someone who is travelling and read the
thread all at once, what I got out of it is "let's talk about what EDB
did wrong".  If we're going to talk about what EDB PR staff did wrong,
let's please also talk about what they did right.  Otherwise they have
no incentive to help us again.

You're right that this "let's emphasize the negative" approach is one we
also take with other contributors.  But that's a problem, not something
to be championed.

The -announce certainly should not have gone out, and that's two
failures, one of moderation and one of submission.

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS