Re: Things to notice (was Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?, broken thread I hope) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Things to notice (was Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?, broken thread I hope)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/01/16 15:00, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Someone (never mind who, this isn't intended to be a blame-game
> message) wrote:
>
>> Am I, as a mere male […]  :-)
It was me.

The phrase "Mere Male" was title of a column I read in NZ Women's Weekly
that my mother bought when I was a teenager.

 >>> An an aside: the use of '[...]' is something I introduced into
usenet about 1991, previously people used '[ omitted ]'  - when I was at
the Victoria University of Wellington (NZ) <<<

The rest of the sentience you omitted, was inspired by a woman
complaining that when she turned up to one feminist meeting, her baby
was removed when some other women found it was male.

> Even with the smiley, _this_ is the sort of thing that causes
> discussions to wander into hopeless weeds from which projects cannot
> emerge.  I _know_ it is tempting to make this kind of remark.  But
> it's not cool, it doesn't help, and it is exactly the sort of thing
> that makes some people think CoCs are needed in the first place.
Your reply is exactly why a Coc is dangerous.  Almost anything people
say, can be interpreted by someone as either offensive and/or inappropriate!

> Suppose you were an uncertain young woman from a culture where men
> have legal authority over you.  Suppose the only interaction with
> programming peers you get is online.  (Yes, I know of at least one
> such case personally.)  This sort of sarcastic remark, smiley or no,
> causes you a new uncertainty.
It was not intended to be sarcastic.

Note that even between England and the USA there is a culture gap. For
example: British comedians found lots of Americans could not understand
sarcasm, hence the habit of saying 'Not!' after a positive statement and
a short pause.

> Just be sensitive to the fact that the Internet is bigger than your
> world, however big it is, and things will be better.
My wife is Chinese, I lived in Sierra Leone for a couple of years,
Ireland for about 4 years.  I was born in England, live in New Zealand,
have visited several other countries including Australia & the USA.  I
have also considered aspects of culture (both human & alien) relating to
living on other planets, not all orbiting our star.  So my world view
might be bigger than yours!

Before I started using the Internet & email I had read that electronic
communication does not have a non-verbal component.  I've been using the
Internet for 25 years - I found within a year that there is considerable
non-verbal aspects to communication.  However, when you see someone
face-to-face, you can tell their mood.  So there are some things I might
say to someone's face, that I would not put in an email as I don't know
their state of mind when they come to read it - that is quite apart from
wondering what the various spy agencies will make of my communication.

> I am not a big
> believer in written-down rules: I think mostly they're a fetishizing
> of constitutional arrangements like those of the US and Canada (which
> mostly don't work for those who are not already enfranchised).  But we
> can do something about that by thinking about that possibility much
> more than we can do something about it by writing down rules.
Try defining a car that includes everything that you consider a car, and
excludes everything that doesn't.  If you do the exercise properly, you
will find it impossible, no matter how much nor how carefully you
write!  Now most people would agree what a car is (For the Americans use
'automobile'), yet trying to define it rigorously is simply not feasible.

> Still, the exercise of writing down rules may help to notice things
> one wouldn't say to a friend.  And I hope we're all friends here.
I had a boss who was a Maori who was (& is still) a great friend, of
whom I have considerable respect.  There are things I said to him that
are definitely not PC, that he took in the intended spirit, that would
be inappropriate to say in public.  I was very careful not to be in that
mode too often, as it would be somewhat wearing.  A couple of years
later he was quite happy to hire me for another project.

It is the perceived intention of what one says that is important, not
what one actually says!  For another example, you can be very rude
simply by being inappropriately polite.

I've often called my best friend a bastard - but due to context, he took
as a compliment.