Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/01/16 19:13, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
[...]
> Some people don't understand all these issues with she/he, for
> example, we in Russia are not really concern about this.

[...]

I started using 'Gender Appropriate' language long before this PC
nonsense started up. Back in those days the word 'he' in instructions
included the female gender, which I though was stupid. Back then, and
also these days, I see no point in mentioning gender unless it is relevant.

So I use: one, they, their, and them.  Which avoids the gender specific
problem, and also suggests (as is usually the case) that one or more
people are involved.

The problem with he/she is also that it is not totally politically
correct either, what about people who are a bit of both, and/or can't
decide?  Not to mention people with multiple personalities, not always
of the same gender (I spent a few years conversing with people in the
usenet group alt.sexual.abuse.recovery - long story, but I got into it
when I did a project on network traffic).  I also did some research when
I read an article that said about 10% of children born on an island
started life looking like girls, but changed into males at the time of
puberty, apparently about 0.5% (depending on precise definitions) of
children world wide are born not definitely of any particular gender.

Cheers,
Gavin