Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01/06/2016 04:18 PM, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>> Right. Personally, I feel the TODO has pretty much outlived it's usefulness.
>> An issue tracker would make maintaining items like this a lot more
>> reasonable, but it certainly wouldn't be free.
>
> Eh, a bug tracker that tracks actual bugs would be useful, I don't
> think anyone would argue with that. A vague "issue" tracker that just
> collects ideas people have had that seemed like a good idea at some
> time in history would suffer exactly the same problem the TODO has.

Not if it was probably integrated it wouldn't. The problem with the TODO
is that it is in no mans land of the wiki and there is ZERO structure to it.

The wiki is the nosql of the postgresql community. ;)

With an issue tracker you can say:

This is a IN PROGRESS TODO
This is an APPROVED TODO
This is a ISSUE-> BUG CONFIRMED-> USER ERROR

etc....

And if the right software is used, it can all be done via email AND can
be tracked a hell of a lot easier than the way we track everything
(literally) now. It is a hell of a lot easier to say:

See #53466

Than every alternative we currently have.

JD