Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/6/16 6:18 PM, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>> Right. Personally, I feel the TODO has pretty much outlived it's usefulness.
>> An issue tracker would make maintaining items like this a lot more
>> reasonable, but it certainly wouldn't be free.
>
> Eh, a bug tracker that tracks actual bugs would be useful, I don't
> think anyone would argue with that. A vague "issue" tracker that just
> collects ideas people have had that seemed like a good idea at some
> time in history would suffer exactly the same problem the TODO has.

I think one of the biggest hurdles people face is getting the community
to agree that something is a desired feature. So if there was a list of
things that the community had agreed would be good I think that itself
would be useful. Even better if items had a rough outline of the work
necessary.

Obviously that won't do too much for really big features. But if our
experienced hackers focused less on coding and more on design and
creating smaller tasks that people could work on, more people could
potentially be put to work.

ISTM that the design work needs to be done and documented no matter
what, so there shouldn't be much overhead there. The overhead would be
in maintaining the tracker and making sure folks were actively getting
stuff done. That can be done by a non-coder. That means it shouldn't
really cost the community much in terms of current resources, as long as
we attract new people to take on these new tasks.