Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/6/16 2:18 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I also think a list of small things suitable for new contributors
>> would help attracting them. Not all would stick and go on to larger
>> items but hopefully at least some would.
>
> I agree with this.  Curating such a list is a fair amount of work that
> somebody's got to do, though.  The TODO list is full of an awful lot
> of things that don't matter and missing an awful lot of things that
> do.

Right. Personally, I feel the TODO has pretty much outlived it's
usefulness. An issue tracker would make maintaining items like this a
lot more reasonable, but it certainly wouldn't be free.

Something else to consider though: I sent one email and the task was
done in 24 hours. For things that can be well defined and are fairly
mechanical, I suspect an email to hackers with a big [NEW HACKER] banner
would do wonders.

Related to that is JD's offer to donate staff time to infrastructure
work. There's probably a fair amount of things that could be "farmed
out" that way. Some folks in the community proper would still need to
keep tabs on things, but they wouldn't have to do the gruntwork. If,
say, the Ops teams at 2nd Quadrant, CMD, and EDB wanted to work together
on improving infrastructure, that's pretty much community at that point,
and not a dependence on a single external entity.