Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> It has never been the case that there is a guarantee that a new
> operating system environment will have the same or more collations
> available as an earlier version.  Even glibc removes or renames locales.

Indeed, and one of the alleged selling points of ICU was greater stability
of collation behaviors (including naming).  I'd like to try to actually
achieve that.

> In this particular case, you can create user-defined collations to fill
> in the missing names if you want.

NO. YOU. CAN'T.  At least not with convenient upgrade methods like
pg_upgrade.  If the collation name isn't produced by the newer version's
initdb, pg_upgrade will fail.