Re: Pgbasebackup help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Steele
Subject Re: Pgbasebackup help
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/2/15 6:25 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> As it turns out, archiving would be the solution to your problem.  If
>> you were archiving you could restore a*previous*  backup and then replay
>> WAL to exactly T3.  There might be some jitter from clock differences
>> but it should have the desired effect.
>
> And in this case previous could be a PG backup taken immediately before
> the backup of the private DBMS.

Exactly.

> I don't remember off-hand if pg_basebackup has an option for delaying
> the pg_stop_backup() call, but if it does then I think the simplest
> thing is to just delay that until after your private DBMS backup is
> complete.

There's no option to delay it in pg_basebackup but it can be called
whenever you like when using pg_start/stop_backup.  So, yeah, if the
postgres backup were started first then pg_stop_backup() could be called
right after the private backup stops.  That would make them pretty much
in sync.

Of course, it's a lot of work to get that going.  pg_basebackup does a
lot of work for you.

--
-David
david@pgmasters.net