Re: trouble downloading postgres 9.4 for RHEL 6.x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: trouble downloading postgres 9.4 for RHEL 6.x
Date
Re: trouble downloading postgres 9.4 for RHEL 6.x  (anj patnaik <patna73@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 10/21/2015 09:14 AM, anj patnaik wrote:
> Ok, i am trying to determine why I am getting errors. Is it possible
> that my browser is corrupting the transfer?

Maybe, though I used FireFox to download also. I would go to wherever
the file has been downloaded on your computer and delete it and try the
download again. The file I got was:

37548416 Oct 21 09:20 postgresql-9.5.0-beta1-linux-x64.run

CCing list

> I am seeing: Installer payload initialization failed. This is likely due
> to an incomplete or corrupt downloaded file.
>
> I am a Linux newbie. Is there a way to test if the transfers are getting
> corrupted?
>
> after download, did you just change permissions and ran sudo
> ./postgres.run file?

Yes, so:

aklaver@killi:~/Downloads> chmod 755 postgresql-9.5.0-beta1-linux-x64.run

aklaver@killi:~/Downloads> sudo ./postgresql-9.5.0-beta1-linux-x64.run

> The reason for using installer is that it goes through all the steps and
> instantiates a sid.

What is a sid?

> The purpose of this installation is for me to have a database to rest
> the restoration of pg_dump.

You can also get that with a Yum install, see below for more:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

> [...]
>     not actually complete the install as I already have Postgres
>     installed  on this machine. This is on openSUSE 13.2, not that it
>     should matter.
>

>         Then, I tried 9.4 for Linux x86-64
>
>         Has anyone downloaded/installed within last 2 days? my OS is
>         RHEL 6.5
>
>         I am using the Linux machine's firefox browser to download.
>
>         is there a way to use yum to get the same installer program that
>         goes
>         through all the steps?
>

>     No, Yum will not use the installer program, it will use the RH
>     native packaging.
>
>     Is there a particular reason you want the installer?
>
>     Something specific you want to install?
>

>         Please advise. thanks
>
>         On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Adrian Klaver
>         <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 10/20/2015 05:48 PM, anj patnaik wrote:
>
>                  Several weeks ago, I successfully
>                  downloaded postgresql-9.4.4-3-linux-x64.run on a Linux
>         server.
>

>              Where did you download from?
>

>                  Today, I attempted to download from the site. I notice
>         9.5 is
>                  there, but
>                  getting lots of errors:
>

>              Looks like you are trying to run a *.exe(Windows) file on a
>         Linux
>              machine, that is the source of the errors.
>

>                  1) when downloading and running latest
>
>                  rchive:
>         /home/apatnaik/Downloads/postgresql-9.4.5-1-windows-x64.exe
>
>         [/home/apatnaik/Downloads/postgresql-9.4.5-1-windows-x64.exe]
>                      End-of-central-directory signature not found.
>         Either this
>                  file is not
>                      a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part
>                  archive.  In the
>                      latter case the central directory and zipfile
>         comment will
>                  be found on
>                      the last disk(s) of this archive.
>                  zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of
>
>         /home/apatnaik/Downloads/postgresql-9.4.5-1-windows-x64.exe or
>

>         /home/apatnaik/Downloads/postgresql-9.4.5-1-windows-x64.exe.zip, and
>                  cannot find
>
>         /home/apatnaik/Downloads/postgresql-9.4.5-1-windows-x64.exe.ZIP,
>                  period.
>
>                  2) Then I tried to scp from the other machine and changed
>                  permissions to
>                  777 and used sudo to execute the file but get this:
>
>                  bash-4.1$ chmod 777 postgresql-9.4.4-3-linux-x64.run
>                  bash-4.1$ sudo ./postgresql-9.4.4-3-linux-x64.run
>                  Installer payload initialization failed. This is likely
>         due to an
>                  incomplete or corrupt downloaded file.
>

>                  What is the recommended 9.4 version to download from
>         and the steps?
>

>              What OS and version?
>

>                  I want to use the graphical installer since I used it

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com