Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Torsten Zuehlsdorff
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 29.09.2015 05:54, Tom Lane wrote:
>> * Jim Nasby (Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com) wrote:
>>> 2 years ago is when they first released the enterprise edition,
>>> which according to [1] had "The most important new feature is that
>>> you can now add members to groups of projects."
>
>> It needed a lot more than a single feature.
>
> Just going to their primary web page, and noting that the first line gives
> links to "Features" and "Pricing" (but not "Documentation"), and the
> second line makes it clear that there's a big difference between the
> "Community Edition" and the "Enterprise Edition", is already enough to
> turn me off.  We've seen that model before (mysql...) and it doesn't bode
> well in the long run.
>
> Further poking shows no evidence of any decent email integration, to name
> just one of the things that have been mentioned as requirements in this
> thread.

That is a fair point. First steps into this direction are done with
version 8.0. This was released a week ago.

> On the other hand, they are big on LDAP logins, and even
> two-factor authentication.  (We need this for an issue tracker that's
> supposed to provide visibility and easier reporting to people outside the
> project?)

Login methods are well supported. There are various login strategies
supported.

> And JIRA integration, which seems to be an anti-feature to some
> on this thread.

It is not only JIRA. Jira is one of a long list. Many like the Jenkins
integration to support CI for example.

> And they'd sure love to be in charge of our code repo.

Mh - i'm not a native speaker. I didn't understand this line.

> And the main, possibly only, metadata they can track about an issue is
> "assignee" and "milestone".

Indeed - GitLab is *not* a bugtracker. It's an web based git repository
manager. It also offers issue tracking, but this is not the main idea of
GitLab. Therefore i doubt that its the best choice for the community, too.

Greetings,
Torsten