Re: How to tune my new server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: How to tune my new server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/18/2015 6:33 AM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:
> Of course not every machine is built the same and not every PostgreSQL
> server is used the same, to tune according to the machine and the
> usage of the server.

indeed, your use case heavily affects the optimal decisions, there's no
one-size-fits-all answer.   are you doing OLTP, characterized by
frequent small transactions with high percentage of update events and
many clients, or is this OLAP, where you bulk load large data, then do
relatively few very large aggregate type queries for reporting purposes ?