Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/08/15 06:43, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Aug  7, 2015 at 11:53:30AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
[...]
> Well, we could just throw a "Postgres 9.5 is faster" release note item
> in there and call it a day.  ;-)
Nah! Just say it is Much Shinier, I'll buy it.

Unfortunately, we have to have much more professional sounding reasons
to upgrade, to tell our managers - so I guess you DO need more details...

[...]
>> (I realize now that compiling the release notes must be a somewhat
>> thankless task, so let me just say that I do appreciate the work
>> you've put into this very much and the comments above shouldn't be
>> understood to take anything away from that.  The fact that we don't
>> agree on what the criteria ought to be does not mean that I don't
>> appreciate you doing the work.)
> Considering the number of almost-arbitrary decisions I have to make to
> write the major release notes, I am surprised at how few complaints I
> get.  Of course, I have been clearly told by core that no one else wants
> this job.

All joking aside, I appreciate your efforts.  I read the release notes,
even though currently I don't have an immediate need to use PostgreSQL.

Cheers,
Gavin