Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 23, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
>> anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
>> Questions I have are:
>
> I have already told Bruce at length about the single most common
> complaint in the phpPgAdmin lists and in the IRC channel: the
> inability to change column types.  I think we should listen to the
> punters on that one.
>
> Also, how about a new section in the manual: PostgreSQL for MySQL
> users and PostgreSQL for Oracle users?

Hello Bruce, Chris and everyone,
So far I have offered free PHP5/ PostgreSQL hosting to around 800
developers that signed up on dotgeek.org
I gathered a number of feedback.

Overall many PHP developers are extremely impressed by PostgreSQL but
they never had the chance/found a reason to try it.

The issues are related mainly to the syntax. Here MySQL, by using non
standards systems, is making the move not that easy to many developers.

Marketing is an important point, so is being able to let the highest
number of people to try PostgreSQL and see the difference.
Another problem is, as far as I can say, their easier to search and
more user friendly manual. I know that Alexey is working on that so I
will think about a way
to contribute directly. Users  (and monitored) comments are a must IMHO.

Cheers
David Costa