Re: Oh, this is embarrassing: init file logic is still broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Oh, this is embarrassing: init file logic is still broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/25/2015 08:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>>> OK, this is pretty bad in its real performance effects.  On a workload
>>> which is dominated by new connection creation, we've lost about 17%
>>> throughput.
>
>> Are we going to release 9.4.5 etc. soon?
>
> I can't see doing a release just for this.  If we were due for releases
> anyway, sure, but we've considerably overstressed our poor packagers of
> late.  Previous discussion was to the effect that we'd anticipate another
> set of releases in a month or so, after some more multixact fixes have
> landed.

FWIW, I know users who will not update because of this regression.
Consider applications which regularly need to spin up 200 new
connections in 90 seconds due to usage peaks.

On the other hand, do I want to do another update release right away?
No.  Hard place, meet rock.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.