Re: Timezone List - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timezone List
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's somewhat urgent to address this now, because pg_timezonenames is
>> sitting on the obvious name for such a view, and once we release 8.2
>> we won't be able to change it.  On reflection I think the existing view
>> is wrongly named --- perhaps it should be pg_timezoneabbrevs?  Or
>> more readably, perhaps pg_timezone_abbrevs, with pg_timezone_names for
>> the other view.

> I think 'abbrev' is a like unintuitive. How about 'short_names'?

I'm not wedded to "abbrevs", but I don't like "short_names" because it
suggests that the names in the one view are just shorter forms of the
names in the other view, whereas really they aren't comparable things
at all (eg, EDT and EST5EDT are very different animals, because the
latter includes a set of DST transition-date rules).

I suppose the same argument could be made against "abbrevs" of course,
but it seems stronger if we have "names" and "short_names".