Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/08/2015 04:10 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> What "NoSQL thing"?

Well, it all depends on what you mean by NoSQL. This very much seems
like a marketing (rather than technical) term we should embrace (rather
than battle).

voltdb.com [0] puts it that way: "VoltDB offers [..] the scalability of
NoSQL, [..] and the transactional consistency of traditional relational
databases."

> The last time I checked he was a vocal critic of the
> NoSQL movement, and involved in projects on relational databases like
> Vertica or VoltDB.

Their marketing has been clever enough not to fight NoSQL, but adjusts
the term slightly (keeping it equally meaningless from a technical
perspective) and now states: "Designed by Dr. Michael Stonebraker,
VoltDB is a modern NewSQL in-memory database [..]."

Let's embrace, extend and extinguish NoSQL!

But back to the topic at hand: It might be worth to ask Michael if he
wants to celebrate with us. But let's focus on celebrating Postgres, please.

Regarding the date: Remember that we had a 10th Anniversary Summit in
July 2006. Celebrating the 20th far off from July 2016 triggers a
serialization error in my mind. ;-)

Regards

Markus Wanner

0: http://voltdb.com/fast-smart-scale