Re: BUG #12992: Failure to start: too many private dirs demanded - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: BUG #12992: Failure to start: too many private dirs demanded
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 04/07/15 18:44, mymailbox24@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      12992
> Logged by:          Dmitry Bilikov
> Email address:      mymailbox24@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
> Operating system:   Linux 3.6.11-gentoo  x86_64
>
> postgresql-8.4.14 can not start.
> It perhaps as result of some gentoo patches. Which the best way to
save the data?

What do you mean by 'some gentoo patches'? I've been running Gentoo
boxes for a few years, and don't remember any such issues. I really
wonder what you mean by "too many private dirs", though.

I haven't investigated the strace output too closely - and it seems like
a pretty poor format for a bug report, unless you only provide it with a
reasonable explanation of what went wrong.

 From what I see this looks like a simple permission issue, when the
postmaster can't access the data directory for some reason. Why exactly
that happened, I don't know - it might be a plain chmod, SELinux or
whatever.

regards