Gentoo shared_buffers setting (was: BUG #3888: postmaster...) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Marti
Subject Gentoo shared_buffers setting (was: BUG #3888: postmaster...)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
>> Marti Raudsepp wrote:
>>> However, as of PostgreSQL 8.3, postmaster requires that the number of
>>> buffers is at least (max_connections*2 + 6)

> It's sort of irrelevant IMHO, as any useful setting is orders of
> magnitude larger than that anyway.

Gentoo defaults to launching PostgreSQL 8.2 with "-N 40 -B 80" which
is how I hit this problem; this was set in a distro-specific
configuration file which I previously hadn't even looked at. Does this
mean that these defaults are insane and I should complain loudly?

Regards,
Marti Raudsepp