How to get some table entries from backup instance back to production instance - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Marcel Ruff
Subject How to get some table entries from backup instance back to production instance
Date
Re: How to get some table entries from backup instance back to production instance
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I have 4 tables with 1:n relation:

 grandpa -> pa -> child -> grandchild

Now I need to copy an instance of "pa" with his descendants
from my backup (a postgres dump) back to prod.
"grandchild" has a blob column (containing fotos)

Which options do I have?

1) Import the backup dump in a separate postgres instance
2) Do some magic query which created insert statements
3) Run the insert statements on the prod server

What is the best approach, and how does a query look like which
returns nicely formatted
insert lines?

Thank you
Marcel