Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/3/15 11:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Note also that you only need to present the release notes from the
>> latest stable release branch on the web site, as opposed to
>> documentation for each branch.
>
> Yeah, JD suggested the same upthread.  If we went over to a separate
> document containing all the historical notes, then it would make sense
> for the main documentation to contain only release notes for the current
> branch, which would further reduce its build time.  My thread-starting
> proposal of keeping the last five branches was based on the assumption
> that we didn't need any whole-history document, but if we're keeping one
> separately then this seems to make the most sense.

I think that's not what I was trying to say.  My proposal would be to
leave the source code in each branch exactly the same, but redefine the
documentation build to build two separate documents: one with the
documentation without any release notes, and one with all the release notes.