Re: PG user group in the Kuala Lumpur area? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: PG user group in the Kuala Lumpur area?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 15/01/18 23:12, Torsten Förtsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking for a PG user group around KL. I know there is one in
> Singapore. As it happens, Chris Travers, the PG contact for Malaysia is
> a friend of mine. So, I asked him. He wasn't aware of one either.
> However, he very much appreciated the idea of founding one. I know there
> are lots of PG users in the area.
>
> But is there enough demand for a user group? If you are interested,
> please contact me.
>
> My idea behind this whole thing is to eventually have a regular PG
> conference South East Asia. I have been to PGconf.eu several times and I
> know from experience that it is a great opportunity to learn new stuff,
> meet people and also have much fun. I think esp. Malaysia is a good
> place for such an event. There are many people out there that could
> never come to PGconf.eu or similar in the US and in many other places
> because of their passport. Getting a visa to Malaysia is possible for
> almost everyone. I don't know about North Korea, but there are many
> Iranians around here.
>
> About myself, I am German, currently traveling back and forth between
> Germany and Malaysia.

I've yet to meet someone from Malaysia, but there's a SE Asia PostgreSQL
group on Facebook which I seem to have been added to recently:

  https://www.facebook.com/groups/PGSQL.sg/?fref=ts

The last Japan PG conference had an international track which was mainly
Asian, and there's talk of setting up a PGasia conference.

(Personally I'm British but kind of from Germany, now in Japan).

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
 Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services