Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20/12/14 11:22, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 12/19/2014 12:28 AM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>>> To me that's a bit over the top stereotyping.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> Having been mentioned one or two times myself - it was an unexpected
>> "wow - cool" rather than a grumpy/fragile "I must be noticed" thing. I
>> think some folk have forgotten the underlying principle of the open
>> source community - it is about freely giving - time or code etc. The
>> "there must be something in it for me me me" meme is - well - the
>> *other* world view.
>
> It was supposed to be over the top. That doesn't make it any less true.
> Sure there are plenty of us that don't have any of the ego petting
> issues. However,t there are more of us in those of us that think we
> don't, that really, really do.

Heh - that fact that even you are stating it is over the top clearly
makes it less *generally* true. Sure, there are some/few(?) folk who are
seeing open source contributions as purely a CV enhancer, and perhaps a
few in denial about their egos, but I don't see that as the common trend
in this community (which is great).

regards

Mark