Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/15/2014 03:16 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-12-15 11:52:35 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 12/15/2014 11:27 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I feel like we used to be better at encouraging people to participate
>>> in the CF even if they were not experts, and to do the best they can
>>> based on what they did know.  That was a helpful dynamic.  Sure, the
>>> reviews weren't perfect, but more people helped, and reviewing some of
>>> the patch well and some of it in a more cursory manner is way better
>>> than reviewing none of it at all.
>> Well, it was strongly expressed to me by a number of senior contributors
>> on this list and at the developer meeting that inexpert reviews were not
>> really wanted, needed or helpful.
> I think that's pretty far away from what was said.

I welcome reviews at all levels, both as a developer and as a committer.

It is true that we are very short on reviewers with in depth knowledge
and experience, and this is the real problem we have far more than any
technological issues people might have.

But that doesn't mean we should be turning anyone away. We should not.

cheers

andrew